Name: Daisy Summers. SPIDER was her callsign when serving with Imperial Guard special operations team Oscar Unit Tango Today, her people call her Spider Daisy. All she'll say is that Spider is 'a bit more than a nickname.'
Notable Traits: Red bandana, feathers in her hair, frequently some kind of face paint. Her armour and outfits look handmade and pieced-together from wide-ranging travels; furs from species that even she will cheerfully admit she doesn't know the name of, Imperial Guard dogtags, an archaotech Force Sword named Priscilla, bits of shell she claims are from 'the psychic clams of Sidion VIII', etc.
Something like an Arborian accent, but not a strong one - not unless angry or drinking more than usual, anyway.
Titles: Apparently now a Colonel?
Information Known by Arkangel Society
Spider belongs to the Arborians, the founding people of the Drifter Fleet, a loose-knit tribe of voidfaring nomads found within the Ruhort Sector and on the edges of Imperial Space. She describes her role amongst her people as 'Shaman', and practises some kind of weird feral-worlder-looking variant of the Imperial Faith.
She's ex-Guard, and has served as an ordinary Trooper, a scout, an officer in a Recon division, and latterly, in a beyond-the-Line special operations search and rescue unit. Today she'd describe herself as a warrior and a hunter - but this seems to be idiosyncratic terminology for much the same skill set.
Oh, and she's also a psyker. She seems to enjoy that people actually forget that, whether because she doesn't look like one stood next to Tempus, or because honestly it's one of the least weird things about her - but if pushed, she'll happily show off not one, but two Imperial sanctioning brands. The second is on her chest, and exists because she helpfully asked the guy on the Black Ship wielding the big lump of glowy metal "Not being funny mate, but what happens if my arm gets blowed off?"
UPDATE: It did.
Spider has not been quiet about having rediscovered her people's pre-Imperial method of testing psykers, since Arkangel's encounters with people like Skyfall made it clear that such a thing might be needed.
By now, most of the medics aboard Arkangel are aware of Spider's particular awkwardnesses as a patient, namely:
that Spider is, on the inside, somewhere between thirty and forty percent composed of half-rusted-out bionics whose quality can best be described by imagining the amount of money the Imperial Guard cares to spend on a psyker, then remembering that most of them are over 100 years old and don't get serviced that often
that she has minor brain and extensive nerve damage dating back to her Sanctioning aboard the Black Ships, dulling her ability to feel pain. This is perhaps beneficial in the heat of battle - it avoids pain-induced loss of control of psychic powers, for one thing - but for the medics, it's annoying, as it means she will often fail to realise the severity of her injuries.
Spider is over a hundred years old, and has a lot of stories that tend to come out when she's had a few. She landed on Hera, fought in the Hypatian Crusade, helped avenge the destruction of her planet, and helped her people remain a people through through both the loss of their homeworld, and the subsequent loss of their last remaining leadership... and she's also got a lot of lighter material, largely concerning encounters with strange and exotic critters and/or the consumption of large amounts of intoxicating substances.
"So, I was in the Guard? And I was in the mates' battalions at first, working my way up. I could read and shout so clearly I was officer material, transferred into Recon. First deployment as a First Lieutenant, I undergo a late psychic awakening in a live fire situation. Don't actually remember how I got from there to the Black Ship. And the fuckers never told me what happened to my unit."
"So as a psyker, my Guard career just went to shit in terms of advancement, but they weren't about to just send me home. Got attached to this specialist recon team they were putting together, beyond the line shit. That's where I got the name. We're all picking our callsigns? And they're all going with shit like 'Blade' and 'Killer' and fuckin 'Murderdeath' or whatever, so clearly the idea is to just name the scariest damn thing you can think of. So I did. And then Sarge reckoned I should drop the 'dunny' bit."
The Rexuz Dynasty, the Drifter Fleet, and the Arborian Free Companies.
Fred the Nerd is technically her oldest friend. He really hates being called that.
Sergeant Rolento, sometimes seen around Arkangel, is her old sergeant and occaisional drinking buddy.
Seems to have taken the 'the psyker' of the Rexuz dynasty, Tempers under her wing. He has lately been seen wearing a red bandana and drinking a noxious concoction out of a blue and yellow tin.
Introduced the Port Minervan mercenary Iago Lennon to the impolite society of Arkangel. The two seem to go back a ways.
Damo McCoy, aka Baby Doc - well, they're definitely up to something. Even if she is old enough to be his grandma.
Inexpertly flew a stealth lander into the wilderness of a Necron planet to retrieve Carters after he went walkabout. Was later appointed Colonel for Scouts and Psykers under the Lord-Commander of Imperial Guard forces beyond the Maw.
- "A smart, level-headed agent who keeps things in perspective. I don't expect that from most people, let alone a psychic shaman commando." - Mac
- "It is good to see someone so willing to challenge the expected norms, I think with time she will be making some real changes." - Maximillion
- "I wish I had had more strength to talk to them when they reached out to help me. I will remember the gesture." - Ed'wari
- "I mean, the amount of times I bit my lip to stop staring at her... no, I meant her spider! And the design on her sheath! I'm going to shut up now. You do understand I lack any reproductive bits?!? Have you even seen the starry design?" - Araq
- "I remember she used to scare me. Now I'd be glad to have her fighting by my side any day. The woman's tough as old boots and fucking level-headed which is more than I can say for most. Also, she lights my lho-stick with her finger and if that's not classy as all hell I don't know what is." - Victrix
- "Another adopted child of a broken planet. A world we never saw gave me a home when I had none. For her I suspect it gave something else, something perhaps far more valuable in its own way. A purpose." - Ambrose Cordell Tollman
- "Smart and notices things others miss but maybe blends a little too well into the shadows when other should pay attention to what she's saying." - Rusev
- "Not Bad... for a Psycher. Decently trained melee combatant and suitably tough to not need pain relief when patching her up. A solid ally to have" - Oberarzt Azrael Schwarzekappel
- "Solid Guard! The brash strength of Arboria, tempered by her calling as a shaman and sneaky to boot! I'd poach her from Rexuz' command in a heartbeat if I could." - Cartwright
- "We few. Not Tyranid, not the Iron Star, not anything that has been thrown at us can stop we few who remain." - Friedrich Sternenlicht
- "*contented lizard noises*." - Regimental Mascot Elizabeth
- "That was my favourite liver." - Thunder
- "Spider has always been a survivor - that is what I cherish. When I see her ready for war, I am steady.." - Sweetwater
- "Behind Spider's tough exterior is an even tougher interior. Though do not mistake her toughness for cruelty. She is one of the kindest people I know. I aspire to be more like her one day. I just want to make her proud." - Tempus
- "Spider is making the all-important transition from weirdo to Queen of the Weirdoes." - Mac
- "Thank you for finding him when I couldn't." - Artemisia Minerva Tabbris Blair
- "I'd heard much of the Arborians, and suspected most of it was exaggerated. Then I met Spider, and realised most of it was in fact understated." - Thunder
- "Saved my life and called me a mad cunt, I think that's pretty much the Arborian equivalent of getting the Star of Terra. I'm looking forward to working with her more" - Cartwright
Inspirations: Brad, Shane and Doc McCrade. Rambo meets Granny Weatherwax. Adrian Pimento. Bindi Irving. A honey badger.