Name: Macharius "Mac" Malvoisin
Notable Traits: Vibrant fashion sense, profane volubility, surprising range of acquaintances, situational ruthlessness
Titles: Lord-Captain of the Astral Stranger, Commissar Senior Grade, Officio Praefectus (Retired)
Information Known by Arkangel Society
Mac Malvoisin ("It's pronounced 'Mallen'") was Lord Captain Sireena Cerastes' right-hand, or perhaps more accurately left-hand, man. His main tasks seem to be exploration, investigation and reconnaissance, although he has become increasingly resigned to combat being an important part of his mission. He has people skills, for a sufficiently loose value of "people." Mac spent a long career in Departmento Munitorum intelligence doing one shady job after another, and although he may technically no longer be on active service, it's generally understood that Mac still knows some people who know some people.
Mac has a perverse sense of humour and a thirst for new sensations. He's known as a connoisseur of cheap, spicy food. Although he outwardly seems to view the Imperium and its rules with a sort of affectionate cynicism, he has moments of sincere piety and unconscious traditionalism.
When family business called Sireena back to Imperial space, she entrusted the Stranger and its mission to her first officer. Mac accepted the task dutifully and set about recruiting a new team of agents.
Mac typically takes the field armed with a regulation-issue chainsword, affectionately dubbed "Ol' Chainy," and a highly customised bolt pistol ("Ol' Bolty"), but he also owns a seemingly endless supply of cheap, disposable stub pistols.
Mac was born on the Imperial world of Esrola, a matriarchal planet with a rigid military culture. Both of his parents were officers in the Imperial Guard and came from families with long traditions of service. When they died, he was sent to the Schola Progenium. He passed the entrance exams for the Commissariat and graduated Commissar Cadet School before drifting into the shadowy world of intelligence and diplomacy. Despite having been raised by the Schola and spending most of his life away from Esrola, Mac retains a few customs from his homeworld.
- "He has clearly seen some shit but he hasn't let it get him down, you have to respect that." - Maximillion
- "Looks like a soldier. Acts like a soldier but does not talk like one. He is funny, and he was kind to me. Different from me, but different from the others too. He thinks differently. I would like to know what he is thinking." - Skyfall
- "An energetic personality that almost seems at odd to how effective a soldier and intelligence officer he is. If you need a question answering he will most likely know the answer or how to get it" - Azrael Schwarzekappel
- "Dammed decent chap and dammed odd for a member of the Commissariat." - Cartwright
- "One has to admire a mon'keigh with the stones to size me up on his own, despite what he was told..." - Ed'wari
- "Mac? Macharius 'Mac' Malvoisin, you mean? Ah, now, there is an interesting individual! People observe Mac and see the outer veneer of buffoonery he enjoys - or, at the very least, employs - and they think that they have the measure of the man as a mere jester. But I have seen Mac, in a moment of high need, process emergent information and model new modes of thought with a speed on a par with my own. An individual that intelligent, that adaptable, is a man that I will always trust at my back... but I will ever sleep with one eye open to watch him." - Augustronomos Corophasian-Ingamar-Vicher, Navis-Scion of the House Corophasian.
- "Some people talk. Other people simply do. Mac is one of those rare souls who is capable of both." - Thunder
- "I'm just sayin', it sounds like politics to me. You probably wanna talk to a grown-up before you do anything... hey, look, good timing. Mac?" - Spider
- "I do not know him well, but I am fairly sure the humour is mostly on the outside. I don't think it is fake. But I think it may be a mask. He talks very well. He makes you like him. I would happily stand by his side and let him do politics. He will be a good Rogue Trader one day." - Skyfall
- "I've never met a member of the Commissariat that I didn't dislike... until this man. Maybe it is all just a clever trick but he is a good man, I think." Rusev
- "The gold standard of... people that should be out beyond the line, forging their own path. Didn't think he'd noticed me, either. And I could just sit and listen to him talking any old crap for hours..." - Araq
- "Nothing is quite as worrying as seeing Mac headed straight for you, telling you that you are just the person he is looking for. You just know that the news isn't going to be good, but at least it'll be straight to the point." - Victrix
- "Could not wish for a better second-in-command, I am honestly not entirely sure what I would do without him and I hope I never have to find out." - Lord-Captain Sireena Jocasta of the Blood of House Cerastes
- "Mac is sort of man who get things done. Maybe he do the thing him self, maybe he gets someone else to do it. But it gets done. Every crew needs one like him."* - Arkady Borovich
- "Amused Statement: I almost don't double check his reconnaissance" - Twigjack
- "Refreshingly to the point. As well as competent. That's more than good enough for me." - Friedrich Sternenlicht
- "Good instincts, his judgement is to be trusted. I respect that." - Alexandra Euphemia Blake
- "He asks the questions that need to be asked, and lets me get on with what needs to get done. Yeah, he’ll be fine at this. I trust the Stranger to his leadership, and that’s not something I say lightly." - Krauss
- "I _love_ the bright shirts. The fact that they come clothing a man with a calm demeanour and excellent pep talks is a definite bonus." - Artemisia Minerva Tabbris Blair
- "Mac is a man that will make the hard choices that get people killed but care afterwards. This is an officer and captain all should want to be like." - Rusev
- "Effortlessly clever. I would call him a worthy heir to the Cerastes serpent, but I fear that would do him a dishonour... There is a kindness in him too, I think." - Thunder
- "Given all that has happened recently i'm exceedingly relieved that he is now Lord-Captain Malvoisin. His insight, intelligence and level headedness are just what we need. plus I like having someone who fights like an ork on our side of the battlelines" - Cartwright
- "He brings an air of diplomacy to the captains table that has been sorely lacking." - Maximillion
- "His words explain a lot about him. Things I did not know, but somehow knew deep down. He is brave, and strong. I would follow him. His thoughts on the Emperor are interesting. Perhaps he is right. He needs us like we need him." - Skyfall
- "Ever the competent intelligence officer and reliable solider. This landing I saw... a new side to him, a touch of the greenskin. It has been noted" - Azrael Schwarzekappel
Player: James Holloway
Inspirations: Sam Axe on Burn Notice, the CIA guy in a hundred Vietnam movies, any given James Ellroy protagonist, the 60s and early 70s in general.